Sunday, August 4, 2013

Étoile de Feu and Sunday Rose Portraits

I have been enjoying my little pernetiana rose, Étoile de Feu, very much lately.



At three and a half years old, it has finally matured enough to dazzle me with some amazing blooms.



 I am becoming convinced that, unlike many roses which shut down in summer, pernetianas thrive in the heat and sunshine. These blooms of Étoile de Feu show richer colors and a higher petal count compared to spring.



Although I have seen a few vermilion blooms like the one in the picture above, most blooms start terracota orange....



... and fade to lovely sunset colors. One of my favorite roses.



To make up for another long absence, here is a quick tour of some rare beauties blooming at the Heritage now. I hope you like them.

Jeannie Deans (?)

Coral Hume
Little Murmaid
A row of Centenaire de Lourdes

White Cécile Brunner

Jet Spray

Lady Ann Kidwell

Mme Alfred Carrière

Mrs. F. Hope Thompson

Olala

Lindee
Mateo's Pink Butterflies
Mrs. Dudley Cross
'Bermuda's Kathleen'
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
Return
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
English
alt
alt
Preferences

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful post....its thrills me beyond words to see many of our beloved older roses in your photos!

    In Rosie Kinship,
    Cydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cydney, it thrills me too, especially since we might not have them all for long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful roses and fotos are so beautiful.

    Greetings from Germany
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Etoile de Feu' is a beauty ... too bad the one I bought from Vintage is actually something else. Too late to fix the situation, so I guess I will make do with whatever it is and move on. I love playing "Name That Rose" with your photos. The Heritage is such an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! It must be wonderful to walk around your rose-filled gardens. I totally fell in love with Étoile de Feu.

    Thank you for sharing ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many lovely roses. I think the Etoile de Feu is very special, I suppose it will not do so well in our climate for it likes warmth I understand, otherwise it should be a 'must have' for me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers, great colors :) Regards

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you have stopped by!